So, what are you waiting for?
1. Prevention is key to longevity and health! While eating a healthy diet may cost a little more than processed, fast foods, in the long run it is so worth it! Eating nutritious food is less expensive than medical bills or treatments. Plus, healthy food can taste so good!
2. If you want to get healthy, go with your gut! The gut is the epicentre to our health and wellbeing. Looking after your gut will enable you to feel your best physically and emotionally. Did you know the gut is connected to the immune system and brain? Looking after your gut has never been more crucial!
3. Limiting foods that are hard to digest is a great way to look after your gut and overall wellbeing! These include any white starchy carbohydrates like bread, white pasta, white rice, cakes and crackers. I also recommendavoiding foods that are high in gluten like wheat and barley and, to steer clear of sweets and lollies!
4. Including cooked foods like lightly steamed, sautéed, stewed or roasted vegetables and slow-cooked meats are easy to digest and let you get a good hit of nutrients! I’m also a big fan of gut-friendly fermented foods like full-fat organic yoghurt, sauerkraut and kimchi.
5. Some easy tips for looking after your gut and really, improving your life, is prioritising sleep, staying hydrated and managing stress levels! If you want to know more about gut health, why not check out my book Heal Your Gut, my online four-week heal your gut program and online bi-weekly heal your gut program to get you on your way to gut health glory?
6. As I said, gut health is key to leading a healthier life! However sometimes, our digestive system needs a bit of a break from so much food to recover and recuperate. Queue: intermittent fasting! In my latest book, Fast Your Way to Wellness, I talk about why I love intermittent fasting, its benefits, different recipes and menu plans for fasting days! The approach I take to intermittent fasting is not abstaining from food altogether but rather, eating 500 calories for women or 600 calories for men 2 days a week! This is called the 5:2 approach. But I cover many different approaches in my book including the 16:8
7. If done correctly, intermittent fasting reduces blood pressure and inflammation, increases fat burning and improves the beneficial gut bacteria. Rather than eating processed foods or not eating altogether, to get the most out of fasting days, I suggest consuming fresh, non-processed and nutritious foods. I have over 90 recipes in my latest book, like my Rosemary and Thyme Chicken Stew (can you say yum?!) that I know you all will love.
8. Fasting can help get rid of that dreaded bloated feeling, increase fat burning, boost brain health, control appetite and reduce inflammation. Fasting can easily fit into any lifestyle and it can even be enjoyed too!
9. Eating healthily doesn’t have to be complicated! An easy way to improve your diet is to swap out old favourites like swapping out pastries and pizzas for omelettes and frittatas, pasta for zoodles (zucchini noodles) and bread for lettuce leaves, veggie wraps and steamed bok choy!
10. Trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle should come from a place of wanting to improve and be happier! Taking care of your emotional health is just as important, if not more important, than what goes into your mouth. Fuel yourself with happy thoughts, a positive attitude and surround yourself with kind people and you’ll be on your way to wellness.
I’m a holistic nutritionist, yoga teacher, blogger, wholefoods chef, Southernature ambassador, Lifestyle Food Channel’s Healthy Eating Expert and the author of the number one selling books Supercharged Food: Eat Your Way to Health, Supercharged Food: Eat Yourself Beautiful, Eat Clean, Green and Vegetarian, Supercharged food For Kids, Heal your Gut and, most recently, Fast Your Way to Wellness. I also run two ‘Heal Your Gut’ programs, and have my very own ‘Heal Your Gut Powder’ and ‘Supercharged Food, Earth Mask & Scrub’.
MB: 0401 417 919