Looking for a Chemical -Free Anti-ageing moisturizer that won’t blow your budget?
I’d like to introduce a quirky New Australian Skin Care Company called ‘A bit Hippy.’ They say “ we aren’t really hippies either, we just have hippy tendencies like believing that natural is more wholesome than synthetics”. Keep Life Simple is also a fan of chemical free products, and having recently turned 50 , I was keen to review their Anti-ageing Face Moisturizer called ‘Don’t act your Age’, just the title motivates me to feel younger!
- A bit Hippy’s ‘Don’t act your age’ moisturizer comes in a simple, 100gm pump-action white bottle. It’s labelled with a groovy, brightly-coloured image of a girl riding a bike, surrounded by flowers and petals. I always prefer pump tops on skin care products, as opposed to jars, as it helps stop bacteria from getting into the moisturizer. Although they can fail to pump properly, I haven’t experienced that this with this bottle.
- After reading the directions label, it does not state whether to use the moisturizer for day or night. Any anti-ageing cream intended for use during the day should have a sunscreen, as keeping your face out of the sun has been proven to be the number one weapon against fighting the signs of ageing. I used it at night.
- The moisturizer consists of a rich blend of natural ingredients, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. Resveratrol, vitamin C, B5, and E are all included and all have proven to be beneficial in keeping your skin supple, hydrated and help you fight against free radical damage, which cause winkles. The skin has no added nasties and is chemical free.
- At night I gently massaged the rich dreamy cream into my skin. You only have to apply a small amount over your face and neck, as a little goes a long way. As per instructions, it does take a minute to totally absorb into the skin. I have enjoyed using this thick creamy moisturizer, and my skin has definitely benefited from its nightly use . I recommend it to women who like their skin to feel smooth with a matte non oily finish.
- There is a faint scent, although I couldn’t work out what it was, perhaps the moisturizer was meant to be scent-free? It’s also unclear as to whether it is a unisex product.
- I’ve been using the cream now for six weeks, only at night, and my skin feels hydrated and soft with every application. This is what I would expect from a moisturizer that has the title anti-ageing. A bit Hippy doesn’t promise any miracles, which I like because to date there is no “miracle anti-ageing” moisturizer.
- I believe that using natural skin care products in the long term is the saver way to go, so skin care that is free of chemicals will always have my vote to those that have chemical ingredients. It’s always good to remember that chemicals safe in skin care products today might not be tomorrow, e.g. parabens.
- Not tested on animals.
- A bit Hippy is located at Burleigh Heads, Queensland, and Keep Life Simple love to support Local Australian Business
- Great value for money at $29.95!
- No added sunscreen if you were to use it as a day moisturizer.
- Direction Label needs more information, e.g. is it a day or night moisturizer, is fragrance-free, unisex?
Well done A bit Hippy , I am looking forward to reviewing more of your products in the future.
*Keep Life Simple was not paid to do this review.
What A bit Hippy Say:
We all know you can’t airbrush in real life and being a bit hippy, we’re all for ageing gracefully of course. But we still like to keep our skin in the healthiest state possible.
The biggest factors of skin ageing are skin oxidisation (naturally occurs as we get older), skin dryness and too much sun. So we made a cream that targets these factors to keep the skin as healthy and youthful as possible.
Anti-Ageing Creams” make us roll our eyes too. So we’re going to break it down and describe what they can’t do and then show you what they can do. This will help you know when the suits from Paris are trying to pull a fast one.
1. A cosmetic anti-ageing cream cannot lift muscles or affect the structure of the face. Nor can it have a “Botox Effect.” Your skin is a barrier. This means it keeps anything on the skin from reaching the fat and muscles underneath. Furthermore, any cream that did manage to affect the muscles would need to be classed as a drug.
2. Stem cells and DNA from different species will not make our human skin live longer. This sounds silly we know. But every year we see anti-ageing actives based on such things, for example the “Immortal Button Jellyfish”, “Swiss Apples”, and “Sheep’s Placenta”. It seems so convincing and they have “studies” to back them up. But human DNA and cells are not the same as that of other animal kingdoms. Sure the other ingredients may be moisturising, but forget the stem cells.
HIPPY FACT Did you know some formulas have menthol added to give a tingling “I can feel it working” sensation?
So what’s the good news?
There are loads of very powerful natural anti-ageing ingredients. These help target the factors that are known to cause ageing, like skin oxidisation, skin dryness and sun damage.
Here are the ones we have chosen to use in our Anti-Ageing Face Moisturiser:
|GLABRIDIN A very powerful topical antioxidant extracted from Liquorice Root. It helps prevent skin oxidisation.ABSCORBYL TETRAISOPALMITATE We know it’s a mouthful, but that’s the technical name for Vitamin C, one of the best antioxidants. It’s oil soluble too which means that it can penetrate the skin’s natural oils to do its job.RESVERATROL Another one of our favourite antioxidants which can also be found in red wine and red grapes.NATURAL OILS such as Starflower Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Rice Bran Oil and Olive Squalene which are loaded with essential fatty acids to moisturise the skin and prevent skin dryness as well as help keep the skin soft and supple.|
Ingredients… we are proud to show all our ingredients on our website, not just the nicest sounding ones.
Allantoin (Comfrey Extract), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Aqua (What the suits make us call Water), Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate (Stabilised Vitamin C), Borago Officinalis (Borage/Starflower) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol (Plant Based Emulsifying Wax), Cocos Nucifera (Raw Coconut) Oil, D-Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Glabridin (Concentrated Liquorice Extract), Glycine Capryloyl (Amino Acid in Skin’s Oil NMF), Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Olive Oil Esters (Sebum Mimics), Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Piroctone Olamine, Polysorbate 60 (Food Emulsifier), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Resveratrol (Micronized), Squalene (Olive)
Stockists: Press Here
I’d love to hear from you and your opinion is always welcome. Also, feel free to leave a comment on any post that resonates with you.
Keep Life Simple